Home Forums Main Forum Hardy drought & heat tolerant heirloom species list for Aust.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rasa 1 year ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Greetings from Dee …Springbrook Community Seed Bank and Garden Club, QLD 4213

I want to send this 19 page list to you as an attachment for your perusal but need an email address from you to do so.I was motivated to draw up this list from an enquiry about varieties that would suit the Community Gardens in Goondiwindi, Queensland, by a family member. I have received the blessings of all the seed companies in the key for this document, to pass this on to your organisation for dissemination to your members, if you wish to. All plant varieties listed are traditional open pollinated heirlooms from which true – to – type seed can be saved.

The key provided on the document is in no particular order and shown below.

KEY: Available from: ES – Eden Seeds, GH – Green Harvest, GP – Greenpatch Seeds, DC – The Diggers Club, SC – The Seed Collection LS – The Lost Seed

My “agenda” is to make more gardeners aware of the genetic value ( traits) of these varieties and their availability, encourage the practice of seed saving, and generate more support for the non hybrid, non GMO, non chemically treated seed companies in Oz.

All the collated varietal information on it is drawn from this year’s online catalogues on their websites.

The following info is of great concern…

“The Department of Agriculture and Water Resources through the Biosecurity Import Conditions System (BICON) is changing the import rules in a way that is only visible to ‘stakeholders’. This process is invisible to the wider Australian community. On the surface it appears to accept submissions but it has no accountability to explain why it makes the final choices it does. I believe that as a result of these changes, we are at risk of losing something very precious, our vegetable biodiversity and with it, our future food security.

The general focus of the quarantine revisions taking place is to make Australia ‘safe’ from possible pests and diseases. This is clearly a worthwhile thing to be doing, it is the way it is being done that may lead down a road that many of us find very undesirable.
    Last November-December the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources reviewed the Cucurbits (Pumpkins, Squash, Watermelon, Rockmelon, Zucchini, Cucumber), the result was greatly increased testing and therefore increased costs but the real problem was the requirement for a mandatory systemic fungicide treatment on all rockmelon and honeydew seed. This means that other than hybrid seed imported by Monsanto and other multinational seed companies that heirloom open-pollinated melon seeds are no longer being imported. Australia now has all the cultivars that we will probably ever have in the country. Those that are not being saved and sold commercially will gradually disappear over time. Why? Because all Australian-owned small seed businesses pack seed either by hand or using small machinery. This puts the fungicide dust in close proximity to the people handling it daily. This is a completely unacceptable risk to the health of these workers.
    Now it is the Brassicas turn and the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources has already suggested it intends to impose besides a range of tests, a mandatory systemic fungicide treatment on all Brassica seed including Bok Choy, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Kale, Mizuna, Radish, Rocket, Tatsoi and Turnip (Mustard and Cress need testing but no mandatory treatment).”

Our seed bank has “inherited” a collection of over 400 rare and endangered varieties that urgently need regeneration and multiplication. If you are interested in engaging in this project with us I can send you our Master List from which to choose samples of whatever you may be interested in. We have about 140 tomatoes for example.

I look forward to your response and a mutually beneficial association.
    Sincerely Dee ( Deirdre Kempson, former seed banker to the Seed Savers Network, Byron Bay.NSW)

Rasa
    Participant

Hi Dee,

This is Rasa who created ByronHinterland Seed Savers in 2012, after being asked to start a Seed Saving network by Jude and Michel Fanton. I co organise it with Paul Crebar.

We had a fantastic event today at the Mullumbimby Markets.
    So many people donated seed and took seeds to grow. We do it to promote seed saving.

We understand the terrible issues of what governments do with seeds.

We choose to focus on saving seed and encouraging others to do the same.

We have also just launched ( today!) byronseedshare.org a platform to show 45 perennial food plants that grow in our area. Take a look if you like.

So sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I am still finding my way around the website which has really just gotten started.

Your best contact for me is byronhinterlandseedsavers@gmail.com and 0423 220378 Keep up your good work. XRasa

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.